Background Checks & Request Process
New Background Checks at UCF
Beginning March 18, 2019, the University’s previous Background Check procedures was instituted as a formal Background Check Policy 3-011 applicable to all UCF and UCF direct support organizations, prospective job applicants, temporary staff, current employees and volunteers working with minors or working in positions identified by duties as requiring a background check. Please familiarize yourself with the new policy, especially if you work in a capacity related to hiring UCF employees or working with minors.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following document will answer many of your questions about implementing the new policy:
Some important aspects of the new policy covered in the FAQ include:
- Human Resources will review criminal history background checks prior to making an offer of employment. A selected candidate may not begin their employment with UCF without successful completion of the required level background check and clearance from Human Resources.
- Employees hired via an executive search firm are required to undergo the appropriate background check conducted through Human Resources as a condition of employment.
- Upon completion of a UCF standard background check, Human Resources is responsible for examining results and making a final determination as to clearing the candidate to begin employment. If a candidate is not cleared, the hiring official will be notified so that they can select an alternate applicant.
- Youth Protection – The Florida State Level 2 background checks for UCF employees/volunteers will be coordinated through Human Resources. All requests for background checks in this capacity must be received by HR no later than 30 days before the start of the program.
Background Checks & Request Process
University of Central Florida conducts pre-employment screenings to protect the interests of the university’s students, employees and resources. For a detailed explanation of our background policy, please refer to 3-011 Background Checks https://policies.ucf.edu/documents/3-011BackgroundChecks.pdf.
If a department or college has already conducted a Level 2 background check pursuant to Chapter 435 Florida Statutes, please submit a Background Check Certification form to HRBackgrounds@ucf.edu. The form link is also included below and in the Human Resources A-Z Index.
Follow these steps to request a criminal background check for Adjunct Faculty, Graduate Assistantships, Graduate Hourly, Non-Student Hourly (not advertised on PageUp), Undergraduate Student Hourly and Youth Program participants:
- The hiring department will first need to complete a Background Check Request Form. Incomplete forms will not be accepted. HR Talent Acquisition department will no longer accept Affirmation Forms. Once the submit button on the last screen of the form page is selected, the request will be routed to HRbackground@ucf.edu.
- If the employee or volunteer is under the age of 18, the Parental/Guardian Consent for Minor Criminal Background Check form will also need to be completed and submitted to HRBackgrounds@ucf.edu.
- HR Talent Acquisition will contact the candidate to apply via PageUp. Once the applicant completes their online application, they will receive an email from our background check vendor, Truescreen Inc., prompting them to visit Truescreen’s protected website to authorize their criminal background check.
- Candidates needing a Level 2 (Fingerprinting-Livescan) background check will be able to use the Fingerprinting Appointment Scheduler to make their appointment on the Truescreen, Inc website.
- HR Talent Acquisition will notify colleges and departments via email when the background check is approved. Colleges and departments will submit the (ePAF) New Hire paperwork to Employment Services & Records with the background check approved email.
- For more information or assistance, please email HRBackgrounds@ucf.edu.
Important! If multiple checks are conducted because of submitting the same request more than once or incorrectly, the department will be liable for the costs of the checks conducted.
Do not use forms for A&P, USPS, Faculty, Medical Residents, Post-Doctoral or Standardized Patients.