Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
If you are employed by a government or not-for-profit organization such as UCF, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program administered through the U.S. Department of Education.
The PSLF Program was established to encourage individuals to enter and continue to work full-time in public service jobs. Under this program, you may qualify for forgiveness of the remaining balance due on your William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program (Direct Loan Program) loans after you have made 120 qualifying payments on those loans while employed full-time by certain public service employers.
If you make 120 qualifying payments on your eligible federal student loans after October 1, 2007 before you qualify for the loan forgiveness, the first forgiveness of loan balances will not be granted until October 2017.
For questions on the Direct Loan Program, contact the Loan Consolidation Information Call Center at 1-800-557-7392.
How can UCF Human Resources assist you?
UCF does not administer or make the final decision on student loan debt forgiveness. However, we can offer assistance by completing Sections 3 & 4 (Page 2) of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Employment Certification Form (ECF), which is part of the loan forgiveness application accepted by the Department of Education after October 2017.
- UCF Presentation: Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- Instructions for Completing the Employment Certification Form
- Department of Education Public Service Loan Forgiveness Website
- National Student Loan Data System (to determine the type of federal student loan you have)
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- 5 Ways to Help Manage Your Student Debt Load