Changes that Impact Your Benefits



Name and/or Address Changes

You must notify a number of agencies and departments when you change your name and/or address. This chart will help you to make the appropriate notifications.


Qualifying Status Changes

State and federal regulations prohibit additions, changes or cancellations of enrollment in pre-tax plans unless an enrollee experiences a certain type of change known as a “Qualifying Status Change event,” or “QSC.”

Qualifying Status Change

Qualifying Status Change events include such events as a change in employment status (e.g., beginning employment with a new employer or terminating employment), a loss of insurance coverage and certain changes in personal status (e.g., marriage, having children or acquiring new dependents).

Note: Most changes must be made within 60 days after the event has occurred. After the 60 day deadline, employees must wait until the annual open enrollment period to make the necessary changes.

For assistance with changes and to determine eligibility, please contact the PeopleFirst Service Center at 1-866-663-4735.

Agency Transfers

When a change in appointment occurs or an employee moves from one pay plan to another, eligibility for benefit programs may be affected. The Human Resources Benefits Section should be contacted to discuss the impact the appointment change may have on the employee’s benefits and total compensation package. Benefits that are impacted due to appointment changes are discussed in this section.

Transferring to Another Agency

Employees who transfer from UCF to other State agencies, State counties or State universities should advise the Human Resources Benefits Section prior to the date of transfer.


If the new employer offers the same insurance, the Human Resources Benefits Section and the new agency/employer, will coordinate insurance transfers to ensure premiums are deducted correctly. Transferring employees should contact the Human Resources Benefits Section prior to leaving the University and should inform their new agency’s benefits office of their transfer.


Retirement plan participation may change depending on the program the employee was participating in with the University and the employee’s appointment with the new agency. Transferring employees should contact their new agency’s benefits office to discuss the effects of the transfer on retirement prior to employment.

Transferring from Another Agency

Employees who transfer from other State agencies, State counties or State universities to UCF should advise the Human Resources Benefits Section upon employment with the University.


If the employee is enrolled in a health insurance plan the University offers, the insurance will continue and the University will coordinate with the former agency to ensure premiums are deducted correctly. Participation in the State Life and Supplemental Insurance Program will continue. Employees transferring to the University are eligible to enroll in certain plans other agencies may not offer (e.g. Gabor Agency Insurance Plans). Transferring employees should contact the Human Resources Benefits Section immediately upon hire with the University.


Retirement plan participation may change depending on the program the employee was participating in with the former employer and the employee’s appointment at the University. Transferring employees should contact the Human Resources Benefits Section immediately upon hire with the University to discuss the effects of the transfer on retirement.

Changing Pay Plans

If your position changes to a different employee class, your benefits may be affected. Some examples of employee class changes are:

  • A&P to Faculty
  • A&P to USPS
  • A&P to OPS
  • Faculty to A&P
  • USPS to A&P
  • USPS to Faculty
  • Etc.

Please contact a Benefits representative to discuss your employment class change and how it may impact your benefits.

Terminating UCF Employment

If you are terminating employment with the University of Central Florida, please contact the Benefits Section. Contacting a benefits representative will ensure that you understand what will happen to your coverage(s), how long they will continue, what paperwork you need to complete, and your options for continuing or converting coverage.

Insurance Coverage

Because premiums for state-sponsored insurance plans are paid one month in advance, you are eligible to maintain those coverages for one month after terminating. On the other hand, if you want your coverages to be cancelled at the end of the month in which you terminate employment, you must contact your benefits representative and sign cancellation forms. (Benefits cannot guarantee early cancellation if notification is given after the first week prior to the month you are terminating employment, it is advised to contact a representative as soon as possible).

Spouse Plan

If you and your spouse are both state of Florida employees and are enrolled in family health insurance coverage through the spouse program, your spouse must change to regular family coverage, terminate coverage altogether, or convert to individual coverage within 31 days of termination. To make the change, please contact People First at 1-866-663-4735. Note: Failure to act within 31 days of your termination of employment may cause disruption of coverage, and may cause back premiums to be owed. Employees are strongly encouraged to contact a Benefits representative as soon as possible to ensure a smooth transition and for further assistance on coverage effective dates, payment of premiums (if applicable), and proper documentation that must be submitted to People First.

Reimbursement Accounts

Medical reimbursement account plan participation ends following termination of employment unless you complete paperwork to continue participation for the rest of the calendar year.

Dependent day care reimbursement account plan participation ends following termination of employment. There is no option to continue plan participation.

Updating Your Address

Prior to leaving employment, you should also update your W-4 card, which is available through the Payroll Section. Doing so will ensure that you receive your W-2 forms and any other notifications such as under- or over-payment of premiums, an application for continuing health insurance coverage via the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA), and/or any updated insurance cards.

Sick Leave Pool Members

When you terminate university employment, your membership in the sick leave pool also terminates. Therefore, you will not be eligible to receive sick leave hours from the pool. Employees who have questions regarding sick leave pool membership should contact the LOA & Workers’ Compensation Section at 407-823-3730.

Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act (COBRA)

Individuals who terminate their employment with the University of Central Florida are eligible to continue their Group Health, Dental and Vision Insurance for up to 18 months.

Once the employee’s record has been updated to indicate termination in the HR system, the Benefits section will notify the People First that the individual is no longer employed. At that time, People First will mail a COBRA package to the individual’s home (within 5-7 business days). The individual may then elect to continue his/her insurance with the COBRA plan.

Reminder: Please update your W-4 information with HR to ensure timely arrival of your COBRA package.

The individual has 60 days to notify People First if he/she wants to elect COBRA coverage. If the individual decides to continue coverage through COBRA, the length of coverage will last up to 18 months (after the individual has been on COBRA for 18 months, he/she may elect coverage from the provider companies directly).

Premiums plus a 2% administrative fee are paid in full by the employee; the University does not contribute any money towards the individual’s premiums.

Benefits that can be continued through COBRA coverage are Health, Dental and Vision. Individuals who wish to continue life and supplemental insurance, other than dental and vision, must contact the provider companies directly for the continuation forms.